Thursday, March 24, 2011

Monterey Welcome Wagon


Hello,

Today I'm going to write about arriving in Monterey!

First, let me tell you that leaving boot camp is probably the most awesome feeling in the world. I graduated on March 18th which was a Friday, got about 4 hours of liberty to hang out with my family (love you guys!!! <3 ) before having to return to the compartment and finish packing all my stuff up. Went to bed at ten, woke up at 1AM the next morning @_@ Spent pretty much all of Saturday in the airport which, again, after boot camp was not that bad. Went crazy and bought some of the super expensive products at the body shop ^__^ Smells nice!
- My family met me at the airport and brought me a bag with my cell phone and knitting, along with a butt load of snacks and other things.
A word to other CTI's : I was told not to bring a whole lot of electronics, because I wouldn't have any room to store them or keep them locked up. THIS IS NOT TRUE. If you have ipods, e-books, laptops, ect, BRING THEM or have them MAILED to you. I'm insanely jealous of the people who already have theirs, while I have to sit and wait for FedEx to bring me mine -__-;;

The people, petty officers, and chiefs here are all very nice and none-threatening. Definitely nothing like the RDC's at boot camp! On Saturday night I unpacked all of my stuff, stuck my chocolate in the mini-fridge, and went to bed content. Since the next day was a liberty day everyone was planning on sleeping in, but I was still on boot-camp schedule and so I finally gave up on sleep and got up at 0500. Went to the head - That's Navy for Bathroom - and only as I was looking at myself in the mirror did I notice that I was covered from head to toe in ants!! I'm pretty proud of myself, I took it in stride; stripped, shook all the ants off, and headed over to the computer lab to test out the Internet. Allot of the obvious sites like facebook are blocked on the computers 'cause we're supposed to use them for studying, but ravelry and blogspot are not. Surfed until ppl woke up and then went hunting for someone to help with the ant problem. Everyone was very nice, sympathetic, helpful, and horrified, but ultimately they all said the same thing. "I'm so sorry this happened to you. " "Can't do anything about it today because it's Sunday" "Spray everything with Windex." We were led to believe that we might be able to move to a new room ('we' being myself and my room-mate ) so we packed everything back in our seabags and tried to push our stuff towards the center of the room away from the ants. The ants hadn't invaded the drawers under my bed so I kept my cloths and toiletries in there (they did find there way in there at some point, however. Now where was safe. ) Eventually, however, it became clear that we would NOT be moving rooms, and would be expected to sleep there AGAIN that night. Ick, right? But I was still amazingly chill, It wasn't until Monday that I started really freaking out. I was obsessing about the ants - telling anyone I walked past about them, even if they were new like me and obviously couldn't do anything about it. It got to the point where everyone important knew about the problem, but it didn't seem like anything was actually being done to fix it. (Although, admittedly, I may have a biased opinion on the matter....)
Then we had our room inspection. My room-mate and I freaked out because our room was trashed - we hadn't vacuumed, there were dead ants all over the surfaces from our windex spray, our closest weren't locked... And we were starting to wonder if maybe we'd blown the ant thing out of proportion. Sure, it seemed like a big deal to us, but what if loads of people had swarms of ants and the inspectors thought we were being sissies???
Fortunately the moment they entered our room they kinda freaked out. Score! Since the inspectors were higher up in the chain of command, they would really make things happen, and by the end of Monday evening we were completely moved out. Yay!

The ants were so bad that we were shaking off every single item individually. When I opened my toothbrush holder the inside was black with ants. Bleech! Good thing I bought extra toothbrushes at the PX! I threw that thing out faster than a hot potato!

So yes. My first few days at Monterey were very exciting and interesting, but I wasn't discouraged at all! It was only after those problems were delt with that the stress and lack of sleep caught up with me, and now I have bronchitis. It's cold and rainy here and I feel tired pretty much all the time. But even though it's soaking wet outside, it's still way prettier than Great Lakes ever was! The grass is green and thick, and dotted with tiny little daisy flowers, and like I said, everyone here is nice, friendly, and helpful! I'm already making some tentative friends, and I can't wait until this weekend when I can - hopefully - really start meeting and getting to know some of the other people who I currently only know by face/last name.
I'll sign off for now,
'Cheers, THEO.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

First

453 said...

This post made my skin crawl. You're quite brave!